EORI: Economics Operators Registration & Identification
What is an EORI Number?
In a nutshell, an Economic Operators Registration & Identification (EORI) number is an identifying code used to track and register customs information in the EU.
Your business needs an EORI number if it is based in Great Britain (that's England, Scotland, Wales) or the Isle of Man and sells goods to customers in any other country, including the EU.
Who Needs an EORI Number?
An EORI number is needed if your business sends goods from:
- Great Britain or the Isle of Man to any other country (including the EU)
- Great Britain to Northern Ireland
- Great Britain to the Channel Islands
- Northern Ireland to countries outside the EU
Your business needs an EORI number to :
- Make customs declarations within the EU or appoint an intermediary to make customs declarations on your behalf within the EU
- Use customs systems such as CHIEF or ICS NI
- Apply for a customs decision
What Type of EORI Do I Need?
If your business is based in the UK, your EORI number must start with 'GB'. If you already have an EORI number that doesn't start with 'GB', (for example, from an EU Member State) you need to apply for a 'GB' EORI number.
Our Top Tips:
Applying for your 'GB' EORI number is easy, just make sure you have all necessary documents together first. To help out, we've put together a handy checklist of everything you need to register your business for a 'GB' EORI.
'GB' EORI Checklist
- Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) (What is this?)
- Business start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code (What is this?)
- Government Gatewar user ID and password (What is this?)
- VAT number and registration date. This can be found on your VAT registration certificate.
- National Insurance number (if you're an individual or sole trader)
If your business moves goods to and from Northern Ireland or is based in Northern Ireland, you may need an additional EORI number starting with 'XI'.
Still unsure? Check your eligibility for an 'XI' (Northern Ireland) EORI Number.Check Eligibility
Apply for an 'XI' EORI
So, you have your 'GB' EORI number, and have established that you need an 'XI' EORI.
Next, you need to fill in this application form.
Once you've completed the application, you should get your 'XI' EORI within 4 days.
Our Top Tips:
You don't need an EORI number if you're moving goods for personal use.
You can find more information from the EU on EORI requirements by clicking below.Find Out More